If your policy has lapsed, you may be able to restore your coverage. To request reinstatement or to determine eligibility, you may contact your agent or the American General Life Companies Customer Service Center at 1-800-487-5433.
Reinstatement typically requires:
- A completed Reinstatement Application and HIPAA Authorization specific to the policy owner's state of residence (Reinstatement and HIPAA forms);
- Completed questionnaires if insured is engaged in certain activities (see Step 3 below);
- Verification of insureds current medical health status (not always required); and
- Additional premium.
Insurance policies are typically eligible for reinstatement within the first 5 years of a lapse in coverage. Please review your contract as not all policies are the same.
Please note, if your policy did not lapse but was surrendered it is not eligible for reinstatement.
Contact your agent or the American General Life Companies Customer Service Center at 1-800-487-5433 to determine the amount due to reinstate your policy.
(Reinstatement and HIPAA forms)
When completing the application, please remember the following:
- Ensure the application you are using is correct for the policy owner's state of residence;
- Complete all sections in their entirety to avoid processing delays;
- Complete Section II A for all insureds if your policy is for joint coverage. If a 'Yes' answer applies to any insured please provide details.
- The application must be signed and dated by the insured and owner (if other than insured)
(all questionnaire forms)
Completed questionnaires are required if you answered “Yes” to the following questions:
- Section IIA, Question 2, 3 or 4 - Drug and Alcohol Questionnaire
- Section IIA, Question 5 - Aviation Questionnaire.
- Section IIA, Question 6 - Avocation Questionnaire.
- Section IIA, Question 7 - Foreign Travel (not required for residents of Florida and Georgia)
Please use any of these options to send your forms and payment. Typically within two weeks of receipt, American General Life Companies will review your application and determine if additional information, or if verification of your current medical health status is required.
P.O. Box 4373
2727-A Allen Parkway
Sometimes American General Life Companies will request copies of your medical records from your physician. A medical exam may also be required. If a medical exam is needed, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
American General Life Companies will notify you if your request was approved or declined.
If approved, you will be asked for the payment due to put the policy back in force if it was not received with the application. Once received, your policy will be active and again provide you with full coverage.
Please check the Policy Reinstatement FAQs for more details.